Dentistry as a career has been admired by the people around the world. The importance of esthetics and smile is of high concern these days. The personality and self esteem is directly related to the appearance and esthetics of a person. So Dentistry is considered one of the prestigious profession.
According to a study done in UAE, the middle east countries have high concern for their appearance so the dentist are considered to have both high prestige as well as high economic status. Similar in other parts of the world has been seen mainly in developed and developing countries.
There are many schools where the Course of Dental Surgery has been considered to be excellent. Some of the top Schools and universities for dentistry has been ranked by QS (Quacquarelli Symonds) ranking. The recently released QS World University Rankings by Subject 2020 features 50 of the top higher education institutions to study dentistry.
The QS Rankings by Subject are based on four indicators: academic reputation, employer reputation, research citations per paper and the H-index (a way of measuring the productivity and published work of a scientist or scholar).
Among 50 Here are some details of Top 10 Schools and universities for Dentistry.
Kings College London
King’s College London (informally King’s or KCL) is a public research university located in London, United Kingdom, and a founding college and member institution of the federal University of London.
QS global world University ranking: 33rd
QS subject wise Ranking in Dentistry 3rd
- Dental Therapy and hygiene (BSC): Duration 3 years
- Dentistry (BDS): Duration 5 years
- Dentistry Entry programme for Medical graduates (BDS): Duration 3 years . The Dentistry BDS for Medical Graduates is designed to support a limited number of qualified doctors wishing to pursue a career in either oral and maxillofacial surgery or oral medicine/pathology.
- Dentistry Graduate/Professional Entry programme (BDS): Duration 4 years
- Enhanced support dentistry programme (BDS): Duration Five years. The Enhanced Support Dentistry BDS is an opportunity for talented students from non-selective state schools in Greater London to pursue a career in dentistry.
Academic Center For Dentistry Amsterdam
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
The University of Amsterdam (abbreviated as UvA, Dutch: Universiteit van Amsterdam) is a public university located in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
QS subject wise Ranking in Dentistry: 2
Undergratuate : Dental Training Programme
Post graduate programs on :
- Oral Kinesiology
- Dental Phobia and Anxiety.
There are also two official dental specialties: Oral Pathology & Maxillofacial Surgery, and Orthodontics.
University of Michigan, United States
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
The University of Michigan was the first state university in the world and the second university in the United States to offer education in dentistry. (Harvard was the first). The University of Michigan was also the first to provide graduate-level dentistry education. Four of its faculty members have been elected president of the American Dental Association.
QS Global Ranking:21
QS subject wise Ranking in Dentistry: 3
- Doctor For Dental Surgery(DDS) : Duration: 4 years
- Dental Hygiene:
- Dental Hygiene Undergraduate Program: Duration 2 years
- Dental Hygiene Post Graduate program: Duration 2 years
- Internationally trained Dentist Program: Duration 28 months
- Dental Hygiene:
For graduates of non-US dental schools, in order to earn a Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) degree.
- Graduate Program: Duration 3 years for most of the programs
- Oral Health Sciences; PHD
- Dual Degree Program
The University of Hong Kong
Location: Pok Fu Lam, Hong Kong
HKU is one of the best universities in Hong Kong and Asia. It has been commonly regarded as one of the most internationalized universities in the world as well as one of the most prestigious universities in Asia. The University of Hong Kong was also the first team in the world to successfully isolate the corona virus.
QS Global Ranking: 25
QS Subject wise Ranking in Dentistry: 4
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS): Duration 6 years
- Masters of Dental Surgery (MDS): On various 10 subjects
- The research program (Mphil or PhD): Can be done in any one of the 10 specialty based research areas.
- Global Dental Campus on Campus Program(CME/CPD)
Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Harvard University is a private Ivy League research university. Its history, influence, wealth, and academic reputation have made Harvard one of the most prestigious universities in the world.
The Harvard Library is the world’s largest academic library system, comprising 79 individual libraries holding about 20.4 million items. Harvard’s alumni include 8 U.S. presidents, 160 Nobel laureates.
QS Global Ranking: 3
QS subject wise Ranking in Dentistry: 5
- Doctor of Medical Dentistry(DMD): Duration 4 years
- The Advanced Graduate Education (AGE) programs :
- master of medical sciences (MMSc)
- doctor of medical sciences (DMSc)
This AGE program can be done on 18 various subjects.
- The Biological Sciences in Dental Medicine (BSDM) : PhD program
- Continuing Professional Education (CPE)
You would also like How much Dentist earn ? USA, UK and India, Do you know which is no 1 ?